Thursday, May 28, 2015

I can't & shouldn't post this on my personal Facebook page or anywhere, really... but... today: after 6 years of running, becoming an ambassador for our local marathon, an ambassador for INKnBURN & now moving to ultras, my mom finally acknowledged a race! She actually wished me a "good race"! That's huge (!!!) & a 180 from her first comments to me trying to race...

I've stated that I have broken religious traditions & familial traditions. It hasn't been easy doing this solo... but finally hearing those words made me cry...

I've debated over how much detail to go into... "Seething" is the best word to describe her tone through grit teeth when I told her about my 1st 1/2 marathon. I was shocked & didn't bring up running for a long time. I was a "closet runner" at the start. Trail running was a way to keep my training out of sight for a good year or so... Last week, I saw my parents for the 1st time in about a year. It had been a few years absence before that. This is sad because we only live 1/2 an hour away. I gave her a pair of running shoes. I gave both of them, their 1st pair of running shoes a few years ago... This 2nd pair to my mom was hot, neon pink! She loved them! While technically she has yet to choke out the words "run" or "race", a text from my dad saying "Mom said have a good race" was "enough". 

Mom's diabetic blood sugar is down now that she's eating better & walking. It was in the 300's & now down to 90's!!!

Having daughters, I can't fathom not wanting to support & empower your girls... but she is from a different era & culture. -I "can't" dwell on it. I do what I have to for me to be a stable, happy mom & wife & have a strong family.

While my husband & daughters don't oppose my running; they don't join me either. My disposition doesn't make it easy to join others socially at races... so all of my training has been reading then trial & error. My miles & experiences are building. I try to share what I learn with as many as I can so they don't make the same mistakes I have... but sometimes "silence" & "example" are strong witnesses, also.

Apparently, mental change can happen-- eventually...

No comments:

Post a Comment