Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Feeling portly. Gained 5 pounds in a month (!!!) after I broke my toe! It's sad... & funny. Went classic INKnBURN T & arm sleeves, today, for +5 miles. First week back to running... 30 degrees difference in temp from yesterday to today- couldn't decide if I needed capris or a skirt... Long sleeves or short...

I'm not too worried about the weight. It will come off. I enjoyed the time off running (somewhat)- eating what I wanted (which consisted of a lot of ice cream) & working in the yard...

Today, I saw a young man at Oak Openings. He is a regular. I started seeing him a few years ago. He was MUCH heavier & I saw him walking. He would look to the ground as we passed & I always tried to give the thumbs up "good job" encouragement. As time went on, I saw his pace increase & his distance. What used to be one three mile loop became two loops. I may have passed him once, at the beginning... but, then, I started to see him --repeatedly. I told him quickly as I passed: "You are SO ready to start running..." Second lap that I saw him: "Seriously! You are ready... " -Time passed & I saw him walk-running!!! I was thrilled (& secretly "knowing" I had something to do with it.) I asked him once how much weight he had lost as I saw him getting "smaller". "100 pounds"  Me: "ONE--HUNDRED--POUNDS?! Awesome!!!" He just smiled & we passed.

Today, I was with Lucy & saw him approaching. (Lucy paused for an awkward pee break.) I couldn't pretend I hadn't seen him, so I turned to give an acknowledging "hello wave". --To my surprise, I saw he had a Glass City 1/2 marathon shirt! Me: "Cool! You did Glass City?!" Him: "Yep, my 1st race." Me: "I'm an Ambassador for Glass City. I was supposed to do the 1/2 until I broke my toe a few weeks ago. I'm just getting back to running..." Him: "Cool! I'm doing the Detroit 1/2 marathon, next..." Me: "Cool! I'm doing the Full. I'll see you there with THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of people..." We both chuckled & moved along...

I really should ask his name, sometime...

All in all, it was a good run. The weather was cool & perfect. Toe is feeling much better & nothing makes me FEEL better than an INKnBURN outfit & a running skirt! SOOOOO ready for this race year!!! Planning my first Ultra...

No comments:

Post a Comment